|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
In addition to being packed with vitamin C and anthocyanins, red cabbage is packed with fiber, vitamin K, vitamin B6, potassium and manganese and also contains thiamine, riboflavin, folate, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Wow, that is a whole basket of nutrients! This cabbage recipe is basic and simple but loaded with essential healthy ingredients. Enjoy!
2-3 pounds Red cabbage
1/4 pounds bacon
1/2 cup raisins
2-3 bay leaves
6-8 juniper berries
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup red wine
1-4 whole cloves
2-6 Tablespoons sugar
salt & pepper
1. Wash & coarsely shred the cabbage.
2. Coarsely dice the bacon & the peeled onion.
3. Sauté in a large pot the bacon & onion. Add a little vegetable oil as necessary.
4. After the diced onion is light golden in color, add large handfuls of the shredded cabbage.
5. Stir as the cabbage glazes. (Careful-Do not let it burn!) When all cabbage has been added and is glazed (about ½ volume from the starting amount of the cabbage); add raisins, bay leaves, juniper berries, cloves, wine, sugar, and enough water to cover.
6. Peel & shred the apple, and add into pot.
7. Simmer until tender (1-2 hours).
8. Add salt & pepper to taste. Add additional sugar & wine to taste.
9. Mix flour with a little cold water and add to thicken.
Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina Dept. of Agriculture
Division of Marketing
James A. Graham, Commissioner
Photo courtesy of flickr.com and slashfood.com.